Express PD 20 minutes Week X: How Can I Make My Exams More Accessible? 4/16/2019
The Center for Teaching and Learning is pleased to announce the launching of Express PD, a series of ten 20-minute videos from Magna Commons, which brings you top content from the Annual Teaching Professor Conference. The goal of the Express PD Series is to reinvigorate your teaching through insights from these quick-hitting 20-minute videos, which offer solutions to common classroom challenges.
Universal Design 4-pack - Give all students equitable opportunity to engage with your course content
More than one out of 10 students in higher education have a disability of some sort. Are you doing everything you can to remove their barriers to learning?
Find out how straightforward it is to make your courses accessible with the Universal Design 4-pack, a series of four Magna 20-Minute Mentors developed to help you provide all your students with an equitable opportunity to learn.
Accessibility is at the core of what higher education is all about. It’s too important to be an add-on or an also-ran and too central to the inherent values of educators to be overlooked. The Universal Design 4-pack will help you meet your responsibility to provide equitable opportunity to all students, from course design through assessment.
A new video will be released every Tuesday morning for the next 4 weeks.
LEARNING GOALS Upon completion of these programs, you’ll be able to:
• Examine course content delivery formats for potential barriers to learning
• Formulate alternative, more accessible methods for presentation and acquisition of information, including print, electronic, and classroom formats
• Employ backward design to develop accessible assignments
• Design alternative methods for demonstration of learning
• Formulate appropriate ways to discuss accommodations with a student who has disabilities
• Demonstrate practical techniques to remove barriers to learning
• Use learning goal criteria when designing exams
• Analyze assessment situations
• Devise more accessible exams in terms of format, language, and testing time
Week X: How Can I Make My Exams More Accessible?
Do you think making exams accessible amounts to a “dumbing down” of your course?
Think again. Designing exams with accessibility in mind can provide you with a more accurate assessment of student learning and bring your assignments into closer alignment with learning objectives.
You will receive the PD Participation Badge after you complete and provide feedback. This will enter you into the EdTech Innovation Chase, which is a game-based digital badging system to provide badges for participating in professional development activities, mentoring, and innovating. To learn more, please visit the EdTech Innovation Chase website.
Registration is closed